A range of free and low-cost fun activities are available for children and their families during the October half-term across South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse.
Get out and about with the Xplorer Halloween Family Fun Challenge
Xplorer is a free family friendly fun orienteering challenge that is suitable for all ages. Using a simple map, find the markers that are located around the park.
- Monday 23 October– Benson Recreation Park, Benson, OX10 6LZ
- Tuesday 24 October– Ladygrove Park, Didcot, OX11 7GA
- Wednesday 25 October –Long Furlong Play Park, Abingdon, OX14 1XP
- Thursday 26 October –Memorial Park, Wantage, OX12 8DP
It’s a Multi-Sport Party!
Come along and join in with free parachute and tag games, ball games, obstacle courses and more!
- Monday 23 October– Didcot Leisure Centre, OX11 8AY
- Tuesday 24 October– Abbey Sports Centre, Berinsfield, OX10 7NR
- Wednesday 25 October– Thame Leisure Centre, OX9 2BB
Sessions take place at 1.30-2.30pm (ages 4 to 7) and 2.30-3.30pm (ages 8 to 12). Booking essential – to reserve a place, visit southoxon.gov.uk/HolidayActivities
Community Fun Day at Old Kiln Lakes
Family nature walks, fun fitness, lawn games, adult community walks, outdoor gym equipment session, tree wrapping removal and more.
- Wednesday 25 October– 10am to 4pm, Chinnor, OX39 4DB
To find out more, visit southoxon.gov.uk/HolidayActivities
Free family yoga and games
For children aged 3 to 10 to do with their parents/guardians.
- Friday 27 October– Dean Court Community Centre, Botley, OX12 9DG 10am to midday. Numbers are limited for family yoga. Please bring a yoga mat if you have one.
Booking required – for details, visit whitehorsedc.gov.uk/HolidayActivities
‘There’s a Monster in your Show’ at The Beacon
Join the fun as Tom Fletcher’s interactive adventures for big imaginations leap from page to stage, as the beloved ‘Who’s in Your Book?’ series makes its debut as a brand-new musical show. This high-energy 50-minute adventure is part of the Wantage Literary Festival and features lively original music and lots of playful fun for your littlest ones as their favourite characters come to life in a show that is packed with interactive moments to enjoy together. There’s a Monster in Your Show… and he can’t wait to meet you!
- Thursday 26 October– The Beacon, Wantage, OX12 9BX
Performances are at 1pm and 3pm. To book tickets visit beaconwantage.co.uk or call the box office on 01235 763456.
Half-term fun at Cornerstone Arts Centre
- Spectrum Youth Theatre (SYT) Residency– Tuesday 24 to Friday 27 October
A free puppetry focused theatre workshop for neurodiverse young people. SYT uses boundless imagination to create fantastic shows about the things that matter.
During this four-day workshop, participants can design and build their own puppets, devise a story, write a script and create a group film. Sessions take place from 10 am to 4pm each day, no need to book, just turn up!
For more information, visit cornerstone-arts.org or call the box office on 01235 515144.
- Make your own Halloween Monster – Wednesday 25 October.
Become Dr Frankenstein and create your very own scary (or silly) monsters, just in time for Halloween! This event starts at 11am. Tickets are £8 – book your place now at cornerstone-arts.org or call the box office on 01235 515144.
- Riddle and Rhyme Time –Thursday 26 October.
A fun and interactive session for babies and tots featuring soothing music, riddles, and rhyming. With poems about funny faces, fingers, fireworks, bubbles and bugs galore – all from James Carter’s poetry collections for younger readers, like Zim Zam Zoom and A Ticket to Kalamazoo. The fun starts at 10.30am. Tickets are just £5 – book yours now at cornerstone-arts.org or call the box office on 01235 515144.