Thames Valley Police has received an increase in reports of theft from motor vehicles from beauty spot car parks across the local police area. Due to the current lockdown restrictions, the police have seen an increase in people meeting up to exercise, and leaving more vehicles in the car parks. This has created opportunities for criminals to take advantage.
Please remain vigilant and follow the below advice to help reduce your chances of becoming a victim of this type of crime. Report any suspicious behaviour, and call 999 in an emergency.
- Always keep your vehicle locked. Close all windows and the sun roof, if your vehicle has one.
- Do not leave anything in your vehicle – take all your personal possessions with you and don’t leave anything on display.
- Consider security marking any valuables that you regularly take in your vehicle.
- Do not leave the vehicle’s documents inside the vehicle.
- Park with care – try to park in a well used area.
- Use a steering lock, electronic immobiliser or alarm.
- Secure number plates with security screws.